remote hosted images

tigertype

Is there a tutorial or help file that can walk me through the basics of setting up my HTML emails to access remotely hosted images? I prefer that my emails arrive in the client's mail program showing all the images as I intend them to be seen. Is this a pipe dream that is totally dependant on the recipients preferences? I understand that I can embed the graphics inline, but as I read through these forums, I came to understand that this can be problematic also. Advice is appreciated!

jiveaces

html setup

It's possible but unless you're an HTML whizz you need an HTML editor such as Dreamweaver or whatever to create the HTML. Then you paste it into the message part of the Maxbulk file (make sure you set the message type to HTML). The remote images have to be stored on a server somewhere such as in a folder on your website, then you insert them into the HTML and they are displayed. Dreamweaver makes it easy to do this and also create the tables etc to align them properly.
I'm not an expert but this should help...Hopefully!
Alex

tigertype

Thanks, Alex.
I have GoLive CS2 so the tools there should do the trick. I'm by no means an HTML expert either, but I try to learn as I go.
Carl

jiveaces

I hear ya, I was kind of forced into graphic desig/web design for my band as I'm the most computer literate amongst them. (our site is www.jiveaces.com).
Same as on a website when you are viewing images they aren't actually on your computer but on the server and the HTML tells the browser to display the remote images. When you put HTML into an email it does the same thing.
What I do is create the email HTML in Dreamweaver and then just copy cut and paste the HTML code into maxprog. In Golive it should give you the option to create the tables etc. Then you can drag the images into the table or go to insert image or whatever in the menus. You just have to make sure that if you are telling it to display an image on your hard drive that the image is also on a server (and make sure the path to the image is correct for the one on the server otherwise it will try and point to your local image and the browser wont understand this).

To make sure it looks ok just go the preview tab and then click on the little eye icon on the left at the top and preview it in a web browser. You can also send yourself a test email to make sure it looks ok in email form too.
I think the latest version of max bulk also allows you to just drag and drop the HTML file onto the message window but I haven't tried it yet.
Alex