Questions about the quality of tracking with MLM?

superflow

Hi, i am working with MaxBulk Mailer from my Macbook (and without MLM) for several years now - thanks for the software.
I have some questions about the tracking options that i have:

When i designed an email, i always had a footer image( (586x73 px, 81kb) in the email, that will be loaded from my webspace.
Then i can see in my Webspace statistics, how much this image has been viewed. That is a kind „of self-made-statistics“
I know that in many mail-software, people have to decide if they want to load an image. This means, that not everybody who sees my mail, will be „tracked“ with this image-view tracking

Questions:
1.) is it possible that the image gets tracked, if nobody views the image (=that a spamfilter "opens" the image)

2.) if i do a mailing with footer image to 100 email addresses, the image normally will habe about 50 views. Would you say that this is good or bad?

3.)Is the new" Message opening and click-through tracking" with MLM more accurate than my tracking? What can be tracked, and what can not be tracked? And can recipients of the emails see that all that gets tracked?

4.)i know a small little bit about coding (i can modify xml files and i can install a wordpress for example), but i don`t know how to work with mySQL and all that server stuff. Will it be easy for me to install and understand the mlm and the new tracking, or is it only for people with much more knowledge?

5.)Will a mailing sent with mlm be more ore less considered as spam compared with sending with MaxbulkMailer with my old method?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
About your first question, it should not, at least not with MLM since the opening action is linked to the recipient email address. The opening action tells MLM to look for the recipient in the database and increase the opening count. If no address is submitted then nothing is increased. And what you say is true, if the user has set its mail software not to load the images no action will be recorded.

About your second question, it depends on the kind of list and the quality of the list. It also depends on if you have lots of Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo addresses on that list.

About your third question, MLM tracking can be slightly more accurate because of what I explained in point 1. MLM can track opening with the limitation also explains in point 1 and also click-tracking. Click-tracking is 100% accurate. And yes an experienced user will see the click-tracking is being monitored. Almost all marketing e-mails use tracking. Unsubscribe system is also some kind of tracking. Opening tracking is quite more difficult to see though. You have to look at the message source.

You don't know any knowledge of mySQL to install MLM. Just follow the installation guide. It is available here: How to install MLM on your server. Lot of stuff is automated. For example MLM creates the mySQL tables automatically.

There are no differences about sending with or without MLM regarding spam checking. MLM will not trigger spam flags. Tracking is something quite standard.

--
Follow maxprog.com on Facebook | Google+ | Linkedin | Twitter | YouTube
and keep up-to-date with the latest Max Programming updates!

superflow

Hi Stan,
thanks for your reply. I bought the actual version now and installed MLM on my webspace.
I can login on my webspace now, but i can´t do anything there.
(i installed via Maxbulk Mailer and had to set lm manually to 777 with my ftp software.

But now i have problems:
I can´t create a list online.
I always get a [MLM] mySQL Connect Error in RequestExistsInDB()
You write ""If you get mySQL connection errors it is very likely because your mySQL settings stored in the lm/lm_settings.php file are wrong, especially the server address. Try 'localhost' or the server IP address.“ but i have no idea what that means and what i should do.

http://www.mywebsite.com/lm/lm.phpl?cmd=diagnose&pwd=… gives me „page not found“

Other question: Up to now, i always worked with email lists that i changed and put by copy and "paste special" from excel to maxbulk mailer.
Can i still do that, if i want to track everything, or do i always have to upload my list to mlm? Do i also have to create my text online? What do i have to do where?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I can see your URL is not accesible. Are you sure you installed it in the right place? The 'lm' folder should be with your other files. Maybe in a 'public_html' folder? Indeed most web servers want you to store files in a specific place.

About your second question, using remote lists is opcional, do it if you want to. MLM also handles unsubscribe requests and do tracking with local list. Just activate the 'Check for unsubscribe requests when selecting a local list' option in the preferences. About your message, just create it in MaxBulk Mailer as usual.

--

superflow

I installed the lm folder in the main folder of a website - the lm folder is next to "index.php", the "wp-includes-folder" etc.
I can browse there to www.mywebsite.com/lm/lm.php

Edit: And i can see the "show-lists" , and "statistics" buttons, so i must be in the right folder
Eidt2: I always get emails as well with header "
[MLM] mySQL Connect Error in SaveRequestToDB() "
and text "
Service unavailable!
:"

Last edited:

superflow

Got it now. There was a wrong database name in the lm_settings.php - i took this file back via filezilla, and changed the name.
I made a test-mail just to myself from the maxbulkmailer-software (without uploading the list to mlm)
I still have problems:

1.)
I can see the statistic online in the webbrowsser now. But the statistic only says 1 person opened the mail, but not who opened the mail (what seems to be possible in the software, right?)
- But i don´t get the statistic in the app. It shows the delivery numers etc, but it´s empty (i choosed the right delivery number). I can´t press the "update now" button. I restarted the software, but the statistics don´t show anything (but the webbrowser statistics do)

Second problem:
Until one week ago, i always worked with an old version. Now i bought and installed the new full package (i think 79 euros)
Since this time i always get a window "your update plan has expired" if i start maxbulk mailer. If i go to "renew" i should pay 17.90 Euros for a year.
There is something wrong, right?

3.)
Is there any reason to upload the recipients list to mlm and not send from the software?

Thanks

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
How do you send a test email, adding your address to a list and sending? or using the 'Test Mode'?
About your second problem open a support ticket here.
You can perfectly do tracking with local list. It doesn't matter. Statistics and remote lists are two different MLM features.

--

Last edited:

superflow

Hi Stan,
it really is a problem for me, if you don´t anwer anymore.
That is why i asked before how difficult it is to install mlm.

I still have the same problem.
I spent hours now by deleting and reinstalling maxbulk mailer.
Still have the same problem.
Some statistic online (but only the opening rate is shown, the clicks are on 0 even if i clicked.
In the software, the mailings are still shown, but without any statistic.
What information do you need?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the delay. I was working on next MaxBulk Mailer version. So right now what is your exact problem, please one problem at a time and stop reinstalling, it is useless and it makes difficult to go forward. It would be a good idea to run the MLM diagnostic as well and see if there is any problem with the installation and/or the settings.

--

superflow

Okay than i should probably start several threads - one for each new problem?

My problem still is:
"
I can see the statistic online in the webbrowsser now. But the statistic only says 1 person opened the mail, but not who opened the mail (what seems to be possible in the software, right?)
- But i don´t get the statistic in the app. It shows the delivery numers etc, but it´s empty (i choosed the right delivery number). I can´t press the "update now" button. I restarted the software, but the statistics don´t show anything (but the webbrowser statistics do)"

Diagnosis is (i replaced my website name and password with xxxxxxxx, because i don´t want to post it here,
(but i can email it to you or send you screenshot or whatever helps if you want)

MLM 3.1.7 diagnose ran on 2018-11-14 at 06:50:20

request_uri = http://www.xxxxxxxx/lm/lm.php?cmd=diagnose&pwd=xxxxxxxx
path_to_script = http://www.xxxxxxxx.com/lm/lm.php
working_directory = /www/htdocs/xxxxxxxx/lm

mailqueue permissions = 0777
sqlqueue permissions = 0777
uploads permissions = 0777
imports permissions = 0777
templates permissions = 0777

#1 mysqli_connect( xxxxxxxx.com, xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx )
-> Connection OK!

#2 mysql_select_db( xxxxxxxx )
-> Database selection OK!

#3 mysqli_query( $mysql_link, $query )
-> Query OK!

#4 mysqli_query( $mysql_link, $query )
-> Query OK!

#5 mysqli_query( $mysql_link, $query )
-> Query OK!

#6 2 list(s), 3 recipient(s), 5 deliveries
-> No error found.

Lists (List Name | Total Recipients | Modification Date):
Liste1test | 2 | 2018-11-08 15:18:28
sdf | 1 | 2018-11-08 15:18:28

Last edited:

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it looks weird but this is because Deliveries are grouped by subject in case you send the same message thru several consecutive deliveries. You can then select a group of deliveries or single deliveries... this is the reason why we use check boxes.

--