Problem with the latest, fixed 8.5.1

maser

We deploy MaxBulk Mailer via munki and have been doing so for years.

There's a new problem with 8.5.1 (including the "fixed" version released recently)

Munki installs this app as "root:admin":

drwxrwxr-x@ 13 root admin 442 Oct 24 05:24 MaxBulk Mailer

In doing this -- the application does not launch (either throws up a dialog box that says it won't run, or just a crash report). If I change the ownership of the files/folder (i.e., to "computeraccount:admin") -- then the application launches. However, we can not deploy using that method so it must be "root:admin"

When installed as "root:admin", the application will throw up an error indicating the following issue:

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/XojoFramework.framework/Versions/A/XojoFramework
Referenced from: /Applications/MaxBulk Mailer/MaxBulk Mailer.app/Contents/MacOS/MaxBulk Mailer
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/MaxBulk Mailer/MaxBulk Mailer.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/XojoFramework.framework/Versions/A/XojoFramework: open() failed with errno=13
/Applications/MaxBulk Mailer/MaxBulk Mailer.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/XojoFramework.framework/Versions/A/XojoFramework: open() failed with errno=13

We looked at the permissions on this specific Framework file (which does not exist in 8.5) and found if we changed it from the default:

-rwx--x--x@ 1 root admin 3735344 Oct 24 05:23 XojoFramework

to this:

chmod a+r XojoFramework

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root admin 3735344 Oct 24 05:23 XojoFramework

Then the application launches without crashing when owned by root:admin

This is a new bug in 8.5.1 -- that specific framework does not exist under 8.5

Can you take a look at this one and see about reissuing (again) a fixed version of 8.5.1 (ideally called 8.5.2 so our crawler can find this? We've had to pull 8.5.1 and revert back to 8.5 for the moment.

Any questions?

- Steve

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean that just offering a identical 8.5.2 would fix you're problem? :shock:

maser

No, I mean releasing an 8.5.2 -- with the fix on the permissions for that specific Framework -- would resolve our problems.

maser

To clarify -- if/when you fix the permissions on that Framework file -- don't just rename it "8.5.1" again...

maser

OK. Please let me know if that's workable/fixable in an update. As I mentioned, we had to pull 8.5.1 and revert back to 8.5.0 because of this issue.

maser

According to our update checker, it looked like there was yet-another new version of 8.5.1 released today.

However, this still has the wrong permissions on that framework file when we install as root via Munki:

-rwx--x--x@ 1 root admin 3735344 Nov 20 08:08 XojoFramework

and, as such, the application still will not launch.

- Steve

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, we fixed an important problem related to Mac OS App Nap, but since you told me the version with what you want needs to be 8.5.2 we did not make the change. Do you want me to do it?

maser

*Ideally* yes -- something called 8.5.2 would help us (as munki is designed to check for things like application version number

So we can't really write an install script that says (essentially) "if version = 8.5.1, then install 8.5.1" as the install would loop.

But we thought we'd check to see if that framework fix was there in this build, but it's not...