problem with french accents

luctrudel

Using remote list with accents, I have a problem with lists that have accents as they appear with little squares in lieu of accents.

I'm dealing with many names with accents so it is annoying.

What should be my encoding settings?

Thanks

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
How did you create those entries? Thru MLM subscribes? I have no problems here with accents. I can also use Japanese and Russian.

luctrudel

maxbulk mailer accents

Hello Stan,

Whenever I import my lists in maxbulk mailer I see those accents.

I have tried changing them in mbm and then uploading the changes but the problem persists.

LT

luctrudel

They are old lists. I don't know exactly how they were created. Some entries are the newer ones entered with the mlm subscribe feature.

Is there a process I can do to my list to have all the encoding reset?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Difficult to know with so few information. The encoding of a string is the one used when you write the string. Then you have to make sure to use the same one when reading. Both MLM an MaxBulk Mailer uses unicode UTF-8 for both reading and writing.

In MLM, are you using the mySQL option?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. If you are using mySQL you can look at the records directly to see if they show accentuated characters or not. Most hosting control panels include phpmyadmin or similar, a system that lets you browse and edit mySQL tables.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
What happens if you edit the entry and save it? Have you tried to subscribe yourself to see what happens with accents?

By the way, I guess you are using current MaxBulk Mailer v6.7, right?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but what happens if you edit the entry and save it? I mean with phpmyadmin? Are you sure your mySQL version supports unicode?

luctrudel

When I change an entry in phpadmin it does the change there, and shows the correct accents; However when I save it doesn't seem to save because when I go back in mailer to check my list the change wasn't made.

Basically, from what I know when I upload a file to my list that's where it goes wrong.

So I will find out more about the myspl that I'm using by calling my server host people.

luctrudel

Hello Stan,
these are the variables in my mysql - phpadmin

character_set_client latin1
character_set_connection latin1
character_set_database utf8
character_set_filesystem binary
character_set_results latin1
character_set_server latin1
character_set_system utf8
character_sets_dir /usr/local/nf/mysql-5.0/share/mysql/charsets/
collation_connection latin1_swedish_ci