Partial Dredge processing from Outlook text files

RebeccaR

I no longer have access to our email server (changed host), but saved qty. 700 Outlook bounced messages as text files and then used "Dredge from a text file" which resulted in 319 entries (expected 700). I noticed that some of the files that didn't process had header info in an untitled attachment. Could that be one of the reasons that more than half didn't process? I don't know what the other problems were, or what to look for. Please advise.

Looking at the folder of bounced emails in Outlook, how can I tell which were processed and which weren't? Is there anything I can do to capture the missing bounced email addresses in EBH? Going forward, I will be able to grab bounces from webmail, rather than Outlook. Will that be helpful in capturing the missing 400 emails? Is that where I follow the directions for Settings?
Thank you.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
eMail Extractor extracts valid addresses and remove duplicates. Perhaps you have duplicates? In outlook you can't see what message have been processed. Our software only get the message text and process it.

About bounces, a single message can cause several bounces, so you would have duplicates.

RebeccaR

I do not believe that my problem is duplication as very few of the bounce backs are due to multiple bouncing. Hundreds of emails translated into a text file similar to the one that follows. Is it possible that the info EBH needs is in the attachment and therefore, inaccessible?

There was an error while attempting do deliver your message with [Subject: "Ecological Equilibrium Presentation Wednesday evening"] to [email protected]. MTA m1plded02-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net received this response from the destination host IP - 204.127.217.16 - 551 , not our customer.

Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 1:20 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Message Delivery Failure - Mail Delivery System
Attachments: Untitled attachment 01979.eml (2.16 KB)

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
All what eMail Bounce Handler needs is the full bounce source except any attachments, only the headers and bounce message. Look at the eMail Bounce Handler log, are the existing rules catching all bounces? Maybe you need to add more rules.

RebeccaR

I have confirmed that the appropriate rules are in place, so something else is not working correctly. What information should I share so that you can help me?

Gmail thinks that the emails from Postmaster and Mail Delivery Subsystem are fake bounces because we did not send the initial message directly from Gmail, though we did send them from our Gmail address. The attached jpeg shows how this is handled from the direct marketing module of our website. Neither of the 2 bad addresses below were picked up by EBH. There are 350 more like these.

Here are 2 samples of emails in response to bad addresses.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Returned mail: see transcript for details
Spam
Mail Delivery Subsystem <[email protected]>
Oct 1 (6 days ago)
to me
Why is this message in Spam? It seems to be a fake "bounce" reply to a message that you didn't actually send. Learn more
The original message was received at Wed, 1 Oct 2014 23:07:24 +0100
from mailcontrol@localhost

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
[email protected]
(reason: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops)
(expanded from: [email protected])

----- Transcript of session follows -----
554 5.4.6 Too many hops 42 (40 max): from [email protected] via localhost, to [email protected]

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [email protected]
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 554 5.4.6 Too many hops
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 23:07:24 +0100
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Message Delivery Failure - Mail Delivery System
Spam
[email protected]
AttachmentsOct 1 (6 days ago)

Why is this message in Spam? It seems to be a fake "bounce" reply to a message that you didn't actually send. Learn more
There was an error while attempting do deliver your message with [Subject: "Upcoming Events"] to [email protected]. MTA m1plded02-03.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net received this response from the destination host IP - 74.125.28.26 - 550 , 5.1.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answ ... nswer=6596 pl9si1879938pbb.180 - gsmtp.
Attachments area
Preview attachment noname.eml

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
You don't catch this indeed because it is not a bounce but a message talking about a bounce. Please place the exact message as full source into a plain text file and attach it to your next post. I will then try it here.