MLM installation issues.

Craig_S

Hi

I am trying out MaxBulk Mailer. The main thing for me is getting the MLM installed so that clients can unsubscribe.

I have followed the tutorial on your blog and it seems to have installed correctly. I get the "installation Complete" message at the end.

I chose the mySQL option.

Looking at my Webhost though, I do not see an additional mySQL database listed, I was under the impression that this installation created this, if I provided a name. I see no database with the name that I provided.

Was I wrong in thinking this?

I also seem unable to upload a Remote List, which would indicate that the database is not present - as I presume the list would be maintained by the database.

Also, should the Public_Html file not, have a .htaccess file in it? I had issues with hacking awhile back and my web developer had put them in all folders, saying that this made them more secure.

Can you give me some help?

Cheers

Craig

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried to access lm.php with a web browser and log into MLM? Can you create a new list without errors?

About security, MLM installs 'index.html' files with forwards on the lm directories, it is similar to adding a .htaccess file.

Craig_S

Hi

I can create a new lost locally, but it fails to upload to MLM. I get the attached message.

I have tried to login to the lm.php, but only get Page Not Found. I have double checked the file path.

Cheers
Craig

Craig_S

Well, it should be this

/photography-perth.com.au/public_html/lm/lm.php

Getting the feeling it isn't though, but that is the file path on the server.

photography-perth.com.au is the domain that it is on, but it is not actually in the folder called photography-perth.com.au I did try moving the public_html folder into the photography-perth.com.au but that did not work either, so I moved it back.

Craig

Craig_S

Ok, so I tried moving it to the photography-perth.com.au folder again, and now am able to get to the login screen - not sure what is different this time - but whatever.

However, it does not accept my admin username and password. I have looked in the lm_settings.php file and see that what I am using is correct. Any ideas on that front?

Craig

PS, just for fun I tried uploading a list to the MLM again, and get the same error as I showed above in the screen grab. In that screen grab it says that it can not find a file located in a folder called scripts. Checking via FTP- there is definitely no folder called scripts in the location it is looking for one. There is one level up in the photography-perth.com.au folder that the public_html now resides in, but that has nothing in it related to MLM that I can see, and I believe was created when I was getting PHPMailer to work on my site.

PPS
Ok so progress seem to be getting made. I found and changed the Remote Lists URL in General Prefs to the same on above. I no longer get the error that I screen grabbed above.

When I try to upload a remote list now, I get error shown in the screen grab below.

I also still could not see a database on my server, so I created one with the same name shown in the lm_settings.php file. I was also not sure if I gave the correct credentials shown in that file for the database access - so I have tried what my Server says are the correct credentials for accessing that DB, and the admin credentials for the MLM, in case it was that and the credentials to access my web host account full stop. Nothing worked and all produced the same error shown just above.

I am out of ideas, so hopefully I have given enough information to allow you to figure where I screwed up. :D

Cheers

Craig_S

I have been messing around more trying to set it up as a Plain Text.

I have gotten further it seems, but now the message I get is that

"an error occurred during the list upload process"

Any ideas on that?

Thanks

Craig

Craig_S

I have had another crack at the mysql version and have at least got to a point where I am getting errors that I see others have had. in particular, this person

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5788&hilit=password+wrong

However that thread seems to have died with no resolution being posted.

I have not yet found another thread describing this problem with an answer.

I have spent about 5 hours at this today, with nothing concrete answer to show for it, so I hope that you can suggest one.

Craig

BTW, when I try to create a list via the web interface, I get this email

Craig_S

Hi Stan

The URL was already set to that, so no it does not solve the problem.

I Can reach the web interface and see all that there is to see there.

Attempting to create a list, I get this

Immediately followed by this email

If I try to upload a list from within MaxBulk Mailer using the Recipient>>Upload to MLM command, I get this:

The fact that I can reach the web interface tells me that the installation is essentially correct and that the passwords are correct. Is this a problem with permissions? I double checked them and the lm folder is set to 777. Do ALL subfolders/files also have to be set to 777? Some are set to 644 or 755.

I would really like to buy your software - but I have to have this working, I hope you can find a solution.

Cheers

Craig

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using mySQL to store the data? If so, are you sure the mySQL server settings are correct?

Craig_S

Yes, I am using mysql as mentioned a few posts ago.

I am not entirely certain which set of credentials are needed for the mysql server settings. This is not clearly explained anywhere that I have been able to find.

I am using my static IP address for the server address, as I read this somewhere in the help files. Along with that I am using the login credentials for my account with my web host. I am not sure if that is correct, but I am fairly certain that I had tried other options and did not get as far as I have with these credentials.

So can you answer this: In the area that I have blurred out, which is at the bottom of the lm_settings.php file.

Should I use:

A) The login credentials for my web host account (<-- which is what I am using ATM)
B) The FTP login credentials for my web host.
C) The mysql DB credentials as shown by my web host.

I am fairly certain I have tried all three at one time or another, but may have made other mistakes elsewhere that prevented it from working.

The DBname in the above screen shot, is the database that I created on my host, as even though the MLM documentation says to just put a name in if you do not have a database, and one will be created in the MLM installation process - that did not happen.

I assume that creating the DB myself and putting the name in, was the correct thing to do.

Cheers

Craig

PS, I see that the comments in the above screen capture actually say mysql Username and mysql User Password

So I gave this another try. (Option C, above) This did not work, and now I can not even login to the web interface anymore. I changed it back to option A above, and it no longer works with those credentials either. Yay.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
You have to contact your server support. Only them can help you with your mySQL credentials. Do not try random combination, you will waste your time, believe me.

Craig_S

I have done that. I know what the mysql credentials are, which is clearly stated in my previous post. I don't mean to be rude, but it does not seem that my posts are being read very closely, as your last few replies would not have been made otherwise. It is just frustrating, to ask questions and have responses that are of no help, particularly when there appears to be a 8-9 hour time difference and said reply often means waiting a day or more.

I have not tried "random combinations" there are three possibilities and I want it clarified which is the correct one - something that is not stated in the help material or if it is, please direct me there. If it turns out that I am using the correct one, and it still doesn't work, then I will need to contact my hosting support. (who, BTW, will immediately say, "oh, 3rd party software, it's their fault, contact them)

Can you please re read my previous post and answer the questions I have asked there.

Craig_S

Hi

I have spent 45 minutes chatting to tech support for my Webhost and confirmed that the details that I have for accessing my mysql database are correct. I can only assume that the issue is where they are being put in my setup of MLM, which is the answer that I have been trying to get.

Can you please explain, with pictures if necessary, where that information is to be put.

I have managed to set up MLM_mostly_correctly, as I have been able to get to the login screen and attempt to make a remote list. It just falls down that point.

Thanks

Craig

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The information has to be entered in the lm_settings.php file. At the end of the file you will see:

Code:
// -- mySQL List/Stats Handling Settings ---------------------------------------
//    Set the following parameters if you have selected to use mySQL above

$dbhost              = 'MYSQL_SERVER_ADDRESS';              // mySQL Host Name (if you need to set the port add :portnum)
$dbusername          = 'USER_ID';                           // mySQL User Name (For Full access!!)
$dbuserpass          = 'PASSWORD';                          // mySQL User Password (For Full access!!)
$dbname              = 'DATABASE_NAME';                     // mySQL Database Name

Make sure you enter account data for FULL ACCESS, Read/Write/Table creation...etc...

Craig_S

Sorry, I have had a busy few weeks and been unable to get back to this.

The information shown in your screen grab, is there and is the correct information for my database. I have confirmed this with my web host.

When I go to here http://www.photography-perth.com.au/public_html/lm.php

I get to this login page

I Can login successfully, using the credentials that are pre-populated in set up. Doing that gets me to this page:

Clicking "Show Lists" gets me to this page:

Clicking and the +New list button and attempting to create a new list returns the result of

Error - Server Problem when reading list. [: ]

I would attach a screen grab but apparently three is the limit.

So what causes this error to happen. It appears that the credentials are all correct or surely I would not get that far.

Craig_S

BTW I have done another install in a new location so the link that I have below, will no longer work as I changed the folder name for the original install.

The new install has the same issues though, whenever I try to create list via the web interface, this email,

Can I pay you to install this for me?