MaxBulk Mailer :: Confirm URL is truncated by email client

steve

Hello there,

The confirm opt-in URL that is generated and sent to the subscriber in the confirmation email is being truncated by email clients that limit the line to 72 characters. When this happens it breaks the URL (puts it on two lines). Then when the potential subscriber clicks on the functional part of the URL (on the first line) they get an error because the rest of the URL is on the second line and broken.

We have verbiage instructing them to copy and paste the entire URL into their browser if the link is not working, however most people are confused.

My question: Is there a way, in the PHP that generates the email, to override the local email client truncating the lines to 72 characters ... in other words force it to NOT break the URL?

Thanks alot! By the way ... great 6.6 update!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I could be wrong but I think it is the recipient mail software that is breaking the message this way. What software is it by the way? You could also try to edit the message template and replace

[UNSUBSCRIBE_URL]

with

<[UNSUBSCRIBE_URL]>

steve

Hi Stan,

You are correct ... it is the recipient mail software that is truncating at 72 characters and thereby breaking the URL. Looks like it is Microsoft Outlook.

I was just wondering if there was a way to hard code instructions i.e. "Do Not Break This" that would override the recipient mail software? - Thanks!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
In MLM, locate the SendMessage() function. Is there some lines like:

if ( $encoding <> "" ) {
$headers .= "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=$encoding; Format=flowed\r\n";
$headers .= "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit";
} else {
$headers .= "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; Format=flowed\r\n";
$headers .= "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit";
}

steve

Hmmm, I did a search in mlm.php using TextWrangler, but didn't find the code you are referencing. Do you have a line #?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a file named 'mlm_functions.php' look into it. I have no line number as the script has been edited a lot of times lately. You just need to look for the 'sendmessage' function.

steve

I don't have a file named mlm_functions.php :-(

Within the mlm folder/directory I have two files:

mlm.php
mlm_settings.php

and, there are the following folders:

html
lists
mailqueue
requests
templates
uploads

other than that there is just:

core.1423
error_log
mlm_readme.html

I checked within all the folders and do not see a mlm_functions.php file.

steve

Hello there,

O.K., I found the following SendMessage() function code (in the mlm.php file) you were referencing:

if ( $encoding <> "" ) {
$headers .= "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=$encoding; Format=flowed\r\n";
$headers .= "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit";
} else {
$headers .= "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; Format=flowed\r\n";
$headers .= "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit";
}

Is there something that needs to be changed to address the problem of the confirmation URL wrapping/breaking at 72 characters with certain email clients (see previous posts to refresh :) )

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Your code is correct so there is nothing you can do here. Have you tried to add the '<' and '>' characters to the template surrounding the url tag?