Instructions for an idiot for MLM??

jburnard

Hi Folks,

I just bought MLM Pro thinking there would be some step by step instructions to follow. Hmmm... So far I did this:

1.- Open the mlm/mlm_settings.php file with a text editor.
2.- Edit the script settings and save.
3.- Upload the MLM folder to your FTP server.
4.- Use your FTP software to CHMOD the MLM folder to 777.

But, for a newbie.... do I need a database created? If not, once I do step 4, then what? How do I access it? Can someone please point me to some more detailed instructions? Many thanks.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Do I need a database created?
It depends. Are you using mySQL?

If not, once I do step 4, then what?
It depends whether you are using mySQL or not.

How do I access it? Can someone please point me to some more detailed instructions?
What do you mean with 'accessing'? This is a list handling script. It is used thru commands.

jburnard

Thank you for the reply...

I could use mySQL or not, I just need to collect emails from my site and then move them into MaxBulk Mailer. Whatever is the easiest way to get it going.

By access it I mean very simply... How do I use it?

I currently have this folder on my ftp server with some php files but that's it. I've been looking for some documentation that says "ok, now copy and paste this script or code into your site" or something.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried to subscribe yourself to your list? This is the best way to try the script and to check if it works correctly. Try to compose the URL with the right command, a list name and your email address. Please keep me posted.

jburnard

Ok, so what I do is use one of the samples like:

mlm.php?cmd=subscribe&list=list1[;list2;...]&email=email_addr[&pwd=password]

correct?

Keep in mind I haven not created list1 or anything like that. Plus, I see where I would put in my email address and password in that string but how do I point that string at my mlm folder? Would you be able to just give me a sample url?

Sorry to be so dense but this is way beyond my realm. Thanks for the hand holding :)

jburnard

Hmmm, ok I used this url:

http://www.burnardweb.com/mlm/mlm.php?c ... ardweb.com

site is burnardweb.com (of course) and I put in my own email address at the end. Then I get this error:

Internal Server Error (500)
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Any thoughts? Many thanks again, I really appreciate your time!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like you haven't made the CHMOD properly. Try to CHMOD the MLM directory and the script to 777

jburnard

Could I have messed something up with the settings file? I only changed the website setting and I put in my email in both places where it asked for email. Other than that I left the username and password alone as well as the mySQL.

jburnard

Just wanted to let you know... finally got it going. I shot a note to my ISP to see if they could see what's up. Just for anyone else reading, here's what they said:

" The error log shows - [Wed Mar 4 16:27:44 2009] [error] [client 72.12.208.111] File does not exist: /home/burnardw/public_html/404.shtml
SoftException in Application.cpp:252: File "/home/burnardw/public_html/mlm/mlm.php" is writeable by group

The permissions for all files/folders in the mlm directory were set to 777. I have adjusted files to 644 and folders to 755 and now that link appears to work correctly."

Hope that helps someone.

I've been playing with the scripts, love this app! One question... Can I set it up so that when subscribing to a list it asks for your first and last name as well as the email?

Thanks again for all your help.

jburnard

Ok, so just one more question I promise.... Is there a way to prompt someone to put in their firstname and company? I mean is there a way to present that in a form so they type in their email, name etc, then submit the script?

Thanks again :)

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, You have several forms in the mlm/html folder. Use any of them. You will have to edit them to include the list(s) your are using.

jburnard

Modify the form?

Hi again,

Things are going great with the MLM. I'd like to be able to remove fields for First name and Last name in one instance. So for example, I'm using the

subscribe_single_fixed.php

file that asks for email, first, last. Can you tell me how to modify that file to just ask for email? I know it's just a matter of excluding some of the PHP but I've tried in a couple cases and just get errors.

Any input is most appreciated.

Thanks again.

jburnard

Hmm, well it can't be much easier than that! I did try that but I also renamed the file and it seemed like it was error checking and going back to the original file. I'll try again. Thanks!

jburnard

Ok I tried it again but didn't change the file name as to not mess anything up. So my input form shows just what I want but when you submit it I get an error that says:

Please fix the following issues
Enter your fist name in the fist name text box
Enter your last name in the last name text box

Do I need to change something so that it's not checking for those fields?

Thanks much!