Incorrect figures in overview screen

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
It is weird as I have only 2 reports of such behavior so far. Both are in this thread. iCash only sums transactions, nothing else. When you run the data checking tool it simply sums the numbers again. I really don't know why sums are not working properly for you. I am sure you are doing something that iCash doesn't expect. Is that possible? How to you enter transactions, manually, thru imports?

johnbird

I enter all my transactions manually. I started using iCash in January this year and the account in question has only 5 transactions, 1 for each month, each one being of the type Net Interest; the only thing different about these transactions compared with others is that there is no payee, although that's also true of transfers and they don't seem to cause a problem. The account is so simple and has so few transactions that I can't see how iCash can possibly add them up wrong yet it does. I haven't checked the balances in my cheque and credit card accounts as they have far more transactions and a small discrepancy would be less obvious until a reconciliation date comes along.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't know why you have that problem. I use to see a lot of iCash files including mine that are 5 years old and thousands of transactions, I have never been able to reproduce that failure. Try to send me the file again I will see.

johnbird

Stan, for some strange reason, the file now displays the balances correctly. I have done nothing to it (no export XML and import) so it seems to have righted itself somehow. Remembering that the error had resurfaced when I added a Net interest transaction, I added another such transaction to see if I could get the error to arise again. It didn't. However, I noticed that when I deleted this transaction via the Overview screen, the amount was still shown as pending - only by moving to the Transactions screen and then back to Overview could I get the amount to show correctly. In other words, the Overview screen does not seem to refresh. I wonder if the error I first noticed and posted was due to this - it would certainly explain why the amounts now seem to be fine again.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't able to reproduce it here either. Note that the Overview panel uses a cache and can be refreshed using the 'Edit |Refresh' menu. That forces iCash to recalculate what you see on screen from scratch. I did not think about that...

johnbird

error returns

The same problem has appeared again and now affects 2 accounts, both of which have very few transactions so I cannot see how they could be summed incorrectly. As before, there have been no crashes or system errors and the date check tool says everything is OK. Yet I have small discrepancies in the balance for two accounts (this time I know it is not the cache showing a figure that has not been updated). I noticed on another thread from a Swedish user that they too had had a similar error and that it appeared to be something to do with precision although it turned out there was an old line from the data checking routine left in the latest version. Could this be the same problem I am having? You were going to send the user a link for an update. I really would like to see the end of this error - iCash has been great in every respect except this.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Also use next 3.2.2 as soon as it is available because it fixes a problem with Data checker detecting errors where actually there isn't any. The problem happens only on very specific situations.