Importing from database not correct

ilektro

The import from a database with a query as this one

SELECT `mail`, `first_name`, `last_name`, `login`, `sms`, `tel`, `lg`, `nbr_rejected`, `id`, `pass`, `title`, `member_2`, `member_1`, `cities`, `sms_rej`, `gender`, `birthday`
, `member_3`
FROM `fans`
WHERE
member_1 IN ('gold', 'bronze', 'sms')
AND nbr_rejected < 6
AND cities LIKE '%washington%'

now gives the wrong results

when imported in Max Bulk Mailer : 362 recipients
in database : 2374 rows

it is impossible to know if anything goes wrong as there is no error

together with the issue of the Import Presets instability, it has now become impossible to use the Import from Database.

It was also difficult to get the "firstname" and "lastname" appearing in the first columns so that the "To:" line of the mail was correctly filled in. I tried so many options that I don't remember how it actually succeeded in the end.

Plus : I notice that the checkboxes get checked and unchecked, even though I click "Update" of the preset or click "Save" when I didn't. But when doing a new Import the checks have disappeared.

Hope you can help, we need mails sent out urgently :(

If needed, we can make another video to show the issues

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
All MaxBulk Mailer does is to send your query **exactly as is** to your server and then add the results to the list using the server output **exactly as is**. If MaxBulk Mailer detects duplicates or wrong emails addresses, he will tell you. If given entries have no email address for the MaxBulk Mailer email address field they will be ignored with no error.

ilektro

I was afraid for this reply. I can show you that I am entering exactly the same query in MySQL with a different result. This worked before or I haven't noticed it so maybe something changed with the latest update.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
No, I did not change anything for several years. As I told you the query is sent as is, no edition and no modifications. You can of course try to remove all those line breaks and make your query a single sentence. Perhaps you have introduced some kind of invisible control character.

ilektro

I have tried removing spaces, rewrite it manually, tried without the accents around field names but still : 367 results while there should be 8x more. I am an experienced MySQL / php programmer so I don't see what I can do else with the query. I

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know either, as I told you, the query is sent as is, what you write is what is sent, there is no code in MaxBulk Mailer to check, reason why I though it may be some kind of invisible characters. Deleting spaces doesn't clean a string. On a Mac you can use the TextWrangler 'Text > Zap Gremlins' menu. Before that you can even tell the app to show invisible characters.

ilektro

As I said : I retyped the query in MaxBulkMailer in different ways. I now even tried to use the same in Direct Mail, free version, and there it also works like in PhpMyAdmin.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked the output of the query with for example Excel? Do you always have an email address in the email address column?

ilektro

there was 1 record with no email address, which is not captured by PhpMyAdmin either (of course). I saw the output in PhpMyAdmin and Direct Mail. I actually had to send out that mail so I bought the latter (too) and it went out to approx 2400 addresses. Not that that is the ideal solution as DM also doesn't have all features needed (eg > 20 fields to import) and migrating isn't easy with that many fields in all html templates.

So I still hope we get to the bottom of this as I remember now that we already had this problem quite a while ago and that you actually fixed it.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I am very sorry to say this but your query is sent as is, MaxBulk Mailer edits nothing, this is direct mySQL command using when you provide as the query. There is no code to debug here, it is one command. The output is also processed as is, no edition either, only the entry with the email field in the wiring place will be discarded. I am the developer of the software and believe me, there is nothing I can do. No doe to debug, no code to edit...

ilektro

ok, I tried in a lot of ways and most likely there is again a character in my table that MaxBulkMailer doesn't like. I remember that that was the issue previously and also remember that there was supposed to be a check of the total to be built. I have now run the same query also in Navicat and always the same result apart from in MaxBulkMail so I will need to migrate to Direct Mail in that case :(

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear this but I can't do nothing. If you paste your Query into a Textwrangler file, zip it and attach it to this message I can have a look.

ilektro

I don't believe the issue is in the query but I copied it TextWrangler and zipped it, in attachment. It's a simple query and I use the same copy / paste as for other tables that do work (I have a lot of maillists that as you know I can't save because of the issues with the Import Presets). I believe the issue is in characters in the database/table or so but I wouldn't know, I can only see the result, there is no way I can check why it's a lot less than what it should be.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The Query is OK. I don't know what to say. This is a mystery. As I told you the query is sent as is and the data is processed as is. It is extremely straightforward. For sending the query there is no code to debug because it is a single mySQL command. For the response we go thru the file until EOF and if an email address is found for the email address field, the entry is added else it is discarded. That's all. Is it possible that your DB field contain forbidden characters? Have you check one of those records you can't import, any thing wrong with it?

ilektro

I also think in the direction of characters in the database. But there is no such things as "forbidden" chars in a database, the program should handle that.

I unfortunately cannot give you access to customer's databases :(