How does MLM send mail?

DavidP

Sorry to ask what must be a basic question.

I activated php on my MacBook with the builtin Apache Server - I can create lists and subscribe - but How does the MLM send mail to confirm the subscription? Do I need sendmail or something? I have a mailserver on the network but can't see how to get those settings into the MLM.

thanks

David

DavidP

I'd like to have the MLM php send mail via my mail server rather than directly from the webserver computer as it does now. Can I change the smtp host easily - I see in the php.ini that you can do that for Windows only.

Is there a way to change the php code to relay it to a mail server?

thanks

D

DavidP

I couldn't find anything at php.org -

If we use MLM it will be on static IP/DSL line and some ISP's won't accept mail from this IP address as they think it is probably spam. If we send via our ISP's mailserver - no problem. So my concern is that the e-mail opt-in requests won't get thru.

At the moment I can't seem to get it to send to an external address at all - perhaps that is blocked - I'm not sure.

I can see that if my site was hosted at the ISP it probably would work fine - but for my set up I don't think it will.

D

DavidP

.... actually I was wrong about not being able to send to an external mail address - it does work for me.....

but still I'd prefer the mails to redirect via my server

DavidP

OK - figured it out if anyone else wants to do it

On OSX 10.5.x you can edit the main.cf file in the private/etc/Postifix folder, you can set it to relay to a mail server.

David