Getting through to my clients

charlieb

I have a commercial website hosted by Dreamhost.
I am guessing that about 30% of my bulk mailings through them do not get through.

I want to try and reach everyone with each sending.

How to accomplish this?
Do I need my own server?

I would do a trail with about 200 recipients.

My newsletter has 8,500 recipients.

My understanding is that many ISP's block bulk mailings, and I am understanding that MaxBulk helps one to get around this shortcoming.

Please help me understand what I will need to do.

Regards,
Charlie

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The best is to ask your web hosting company about it. They should tell you how many messages you are allowed to send per hour or per day. Then just set MaxBulk to match those limitations. In any case it is a good idea to use as few connections as possible, small groups and an interval. If it takes a lot of time, send your message during the night. Staggering deliveries that way should never bother your hosting company. What bothers them is when you send thousands of messages at once.

Using your own server is no longer a good solution. It is explained here: Using your own SMTP server, advantages and drawbacks

charlieb

Thanks a lot! Now I understand.

When you say:
"In any case it is a good idea to use as few connections as possible"

What is your meaning?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
MaxBulk Mailer uses 5 connections by default (connections pull-down menu in settings panel). The total of messages sent per batch is Connection*Group. In other words, with 5 connections and a group of 100 you will send 500 messages per batch.

willymmm

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to useing less than the default connections- 2? 4?

Thanks, Bill

stanbusk said:
MaxBulk Mailer uses 5 connections by default (connections pull-down menu in settings panel). The total of messages sent per batch is Connection*Group. In other words, with 5 connections and a group of 100 you will send 500 messages per batch.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
When you have a small delivery limit, the connection setting is rather useless.