Error sending: Need MAIL before RCPT

auptown

Hello,

I've been using this for quite a while, no problems, and now after about 150 emails I keep getting this error between each attempt, and nothing is sending.

503 5.0.0 Need MAIL before RCPT.

The only thing I have changed on my server side is that I switched my domain hosting to godaddy recently. Otherwise all the same account info.

I've tried restarting the program and rebooting, no help. I'm running 8.3.7-US.

Thanks for any help with this.

--Andrew

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
This error is the consequence of a previous error. Look at the log for a previous 5xx error or a 4xx error.

auptown

I suppose it's this, although I can't see anything wrong with the message:

550 5.7.1 q2IHliaZ019246 This message does not comply with required standards.

Any idea how I would handle this?

--Andrew

auptown

Understood.

My ISP is looking into it, but they are requesting an .EML format of the email that I am trying to send, and I don't know how to get this.

Can you help me understand how to do this?

auptown

OK, I understand EML and how to convert other formats to it, but how would I export the message from MaxBulk? Would I just copy and paste the text? This doesn't seem like it would get the headers.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Send a message to yourself, get it in your mail reader and ten save it / export it as raw source.

auptown

So, I've been in contact with my ISP, who confirms that message are being sent with no problem. They also say that I am whitelisted for sending bulk batches of messages.

And yet, I can't even send one message, even with plain text. How can I debug this further?

I did try changing my settings to use my MobileMe account and was able to send a message, but of course I can't use them because I have over 5000 recipients.

Any help on how to resolve this greatly appreciated.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you been able to get more info about the '550 5.7.1 q2IHliaZ019246 This message does not comply with required standards.' error? What are those 'standards'?

auptown

They have not offered any information about what can trigger this error, but they have sent the message itself (from an EML file) and it does not trigger the error when sent from an email client, only from MaxBulk. This is my experience as well.

Could this be some sort of setting? The odd thing is that 150 emails were sent successfully, but since then I can't get anything to send, even with a new message that is plain text.

Could the ISP be sensitive to the sending program somehow?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
No, the SMTP protocol is the same for every software and there is no such thing of detecting which software has sent a message except if you explicitly add a header to the message. It is explained here.

dhwinn

I too am having this problem. I am able to send 100 emails, then the 550 error comes back. I waited approximately 2 hours and again was able to send about 300 e-mails before the error again stopped delivery. My ISP tells me there is no limit. Any help would be appreciated.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
This is a delivery limit, I am sorry. Are you sure you are asking the right person, right support person from the right server?

TheOzBoy

I'm getting this message now as well. I am able to send email and then it just goes kaput. I contacted my outgoing email service and they confirm I am whitelisted and do not have a limit on my emails. Any help on this? I've deleted the first part of the email addresses
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 503 5.0.0 Need MAIL before RCPT
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 > MAIL FROM:<[email protected]>
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 250 2.1.0 <[email protected]>... Sender ok
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 > RCPT TO:<[email protected]> [13/1482]
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 250 2.1.5 <[email protected]>... Recipient ok
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 > DATA
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 ~ Sending message
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 ~ with ID <[email protected]>
[01] 7/17 16:43:38 ~ To [email protected]
[01] 7/17 16:43:39 550 5.7.1 r6HKhVPI016927 This message does not comply with required standards.

TheOzBoy

Interesting . . . I had some hyperlinked text in the message. Stripped it out, put it back in . . . Voila, I am sending again.
Did I find a cure or did I just make a symptom feel better?