E-Mail exclusion list: add e-mail adresses like *@domain.com

kriebel

Could it be possible to add e-mail addresses with wild-characters?

Like:
*@domain.com
[email protected]
or
2323213@smtp0?.wxs.com

This exactly what I need, but the program doesn't support it at the moment.

Hopefully it could be possible to add this in a newer version....

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
New v3 will be available next week. You will rarely need the exclusion list with it as the bounce processing has been completely redesigned.

kriebel

Are you serious?! That is right on time! I'd almost bought another product, because this program harvests all e-mails in the message. But if the e-mail address, which actually causes the bounce, is the only one which will be filtered out, I'll better wait for the newer version.
Do you approximately know when v3 will be available for download? I have a meeting next week were we will discussing the pros and cons of each 'bounced e-mail handler' program. I'd really like to include this newer version as well.
Thanks.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
eMail Bounce Handler has been fully rewritten from the ground up. Now you will only get the list of the addresses that have bounced. Nothing else! This new version will be released tuesday morning. It includes a great amount of enhancement but it continues to be as easy as usual...

kriebel

I've just downloaded and installed the newest version, but unfortunatly there are still e-mail addresses that shouldn't be in the list. Like my own mail address, the servers' mail addresses and some others.
Maybe the problem is caused by the way I test the program. I have 3 bounced mails in my mailbox, which I forward to myself. Can that be the problem?

kriebel

Mmm it seems to work OK. I was testing the program a bit more (better actually) by sending mails to some none existing e-mail addresses. The bounces are filtered out with the eMail Bounce Handler program and the none existing mail addresses are the only ones in the list. So that's exactly what I was looking for.
So I was wrong in the previous post, it does work.

andrewvester

Exclusion list

Hi all, can someone tell me if my understanding of the exclusion list is correct? I am using version 3.01 and I have added an email address to my exclusion list, my understanding is that when the process runs, mails from/to that address will be ignored and they will be left on the server for me to collect normally via my mail client. Reason for this is so that people replying to an email to unsubscribe or similar will not be affected by the bounce handler. What is happening is that all mail is being deleted from the server. Am I doing something incorrectly?
Thanks in advance.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The exclusion list was not designed for that. It is for not displaying given addresses in the list. You should not worry about deletion. eMail Bounce Handler only deletes the messages that match the given rules. It will keep other messages on your server untouched. If you do not trust that you can always deactivate deletion.

andrewvester

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying that if someone replies to an email and the mail ends up in the same place as the bounces, after the process has run it should theoretically not find anything in that mail that says its a bounce so it'll ignore that email and leave it on the server?

andrewvester

Thats what I thought but its not doing it?? It is deleting all mails, even legitimate responses??
Can you send me an example BEM file that I could try - setup so that it works on your side? Theoretically all I would need to do is change the POP details??

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Can you paste here a piece of the connection log where it says a message is not a bounce and right after eMail Bounce Handler issues a DELETE command? That would help. There is no sample BEM file I can send to you, each settings are different depending ISP.