delete duplicate/blank contacts from bank download

vizou

Is there a trick for deleting duplicated or blank contact names that appear after I download my bank file? There are a whole bunch with no names but since they are applied to something, I can't zap them out.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
You can't delete a contact if it has been used at least once. You have to find the transactions using it first. You can also change the category of those contacts in the contact window to display only the ones you need. I am not sure if that respond to your question. If it doesn't please let me know.

vizou

Deleting contacts, toggling multiple selections

I want to thank the support folks for such GREAT response to questions. I am so far just loving this product; it is the first time I have been able to figure out any type of accounting program myself. The confirmation of adding the "Get Info"-like toggling feature for batch changing categories, etc. is wonderful news. I also think that you should be able to delete any contact you want for one good reason; when I imported my first bank statement, I also imported the "type" field which put the transaction type as letters at the beginning of every contact name (I will have to hand edit this now). When you type in a new contact name, it gets added automatically anyway, so loosing a contact wouldn't be a big deal (to me, anyway). Couldn't it be an option in Preferences much like confirming before deleting Accounts?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, such dialog makes sense. I will see what I can do to change behavior. I have added your request to the list of changes.

vizou

More contact list wishes

Not only would I like to be able to delete contacts, I want to be able to select multiple contacts to edit their type or delete them (like you suggested, a feature implimented similarly to iTunes "Get Info" editing options). I am frustrated to have to open each contact one at a time (there are a lot!) to correct things that are shared characteristics. Keep up the good work! Nice, nice program!