Corrupted Comments (again)

MonHawk

Hi Stan,

I reported some corrupted comments last week - I cleaned up the XML file and re-imported, but today I have found some more, there is definitely something scary happening and it's making me very nervous about the integrity of my data.

Could it be some line-ending issue, or some other memory corruption? I'm running ICash 7.6.1, on Windows 7 Professional.

Please see my attached screenshot (sorry, heavily cropped and reduced because there appears to be a limit of 300 pixels x 300 pixels on the attachment)

MonHawk

Stan, I assure you that it is the case that:

1) I had a normal icash file that I'd been using for ages which suddenly 'developed' a corrupted comment like this

2) I then exported the xml, fixed the corrupted comments, and started a new icash file by importing this xml

3) everything was ok for a few days

4) a new corrupted comment appeared.

(I'm a software developer too, and I promise I take careful note of what the steps to reproduce are in general - obviously here I have no idea how to reproduce this).

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried to just re-enter that comment? Maybe it is the only one with that problem. If you are a developer you can see that you get XML tags rather than the actual data. That problem comes from a faulty XML information since the SQL engine used by iCash never use XML.

You can also check your data renaming the file with the 'vdb' extension and opening it with Valentina Studio.

--
Follow maxprog.com on Facebook | Google+ | Linkedin | Twitter | YouTube
and keep up-to-date with the latest Max Programming updates!

MonHawk

Yes I did. And the bad comment 'sticks'. (I know, sounds weird, but it really does).

So I exported to xml. Took the bad comment out from xml. Created a new iCash file with the 'clean' xml. And everything was fine for a bit - then I noticed another corrupted comment.

I do realise this is not very helpful for you to reproduce the problem.

MonHawk

no I've not heard of Valentina Studio.
Are you suggesting that as a way of fixing the problem, or diagnosing it?

MonHawk

Ok, have managed to finally download Valentina Studio, but when I try to open the iCash database it says "You're trying to open the database with version 2.96 while the Valentina Studio uses version 2.128. If you will continue the given database will be automatically converted to version 2.128. Do you want to continue to open database?" (Don't worry, I took a backup). But if I say YES, it then says "Critical Error Database could not be opened!"

I have an idea. I used to have a problem, which I reported, which was that whenever I happened to leave iCash open, and my laptop went to sleep, it would crash afterwards after waking up and using it again.

I have a feeling that these corruptions (I've just had another one) happen with the sleep / wake up.

Did you ever get a chance to investigate the sleep / wake up problem I reported? Clearly the crash was indicative of some problem, could it be that some memory could get overwritten at this point too?

MonHawk

This is an example of what's in the xml file:

<f n="Transaction_Amount"> 14.990000</f>
<f n="Transaction_Comment"><![CDATA[]&gt;&lt;/f&gt;&#x0A;&#x09;&#x09;&#x09;&#x09;&#x09;&lt;f n="Transaction_InvoiceNum"&gt;&lt;![CDATA[]]></f>
<f n="Transaction_InvoiceNum"><![CDATA[]]></f>

(Note that there is a 'corrupted Transaction_InvoiceNum, AS WELL AS the normal Transaction_InvoiceNum entry on next line)

compared to a 'normal' transaction

<f n="Transaction_Amount"> 22.000000</f>
<f n="Transaction_Comment"><![CDATA[Spotify Premium]]></f>
<f n="Transaction_InvoiceNum"><![CDATA[]]></f>

So it looks like some of the characters "></f>" have been incorrectly html encoded? Does this help you perhaps to point to where the problem might be?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder why those codes in the first place :-/ When you export as XML, is the file UTF-8?

Note that your problem is new to me, never heard about that so far, I have been developing iCash for two decades so far. That's a lot of time and lots of users. The sleep mode can hardly the culprit here else it would happen more than once. I myself let my iCash documents open for days and I use sleep mode.

--
Follow maxprog.com on Facebook | Google+ | Linkedin | Twitter | YouTube
and keep up-to-date with the latest Max Programming updates!