Confirmation eMail not being sent

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
If it is a server problem the message will end up into the 'mailqueue' folder. Do you have any email in that folder?

Imagery-Member

Yes. There are a number of emails. What would that mean?

Are there any requirements regarding the username and password included in the lm_settngs.php file and the mail accounts?

Thanks,
Tim

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The only requirement is to set a valid email address in the lm_settings.php file for admin. notification emails. The line is:

$admin_err_addr = "YOUR_EMAIL_ADDRESS";

Imagery-Member

Ok. I had already done that.

Is there any direction you would suggest that I might take to remedy the confirmation problem?

Thanks.

Imagery-Member

Thanks.

I contacted their Support team and got the response below.

They ask about SMTP settings used by the script. The only place I know of that these are dealt with are on the "Settings" tab of MaxBulkMailer. Are these the operative settings for the outgoing mail server? Or, are they set in some file beneath the 'lm' directory?

Thanks, again.

----

Hello,

Thank you for contacting ____ technical support!

Please describe the method your mail script uses to send mail, including the mail server it is using for SMTP and the address that is set to send mail. As well the following article may assist you:

How do I send mail with PHP on MS IIS web server?
http://hosting.intermedia.net/support/k ... asp?id=751

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
MLM has no SMTP settings. MLM simply uses the MLM uses standard PHP mail function. Note that MaxBulk Mailer email settings have nothing to do with MLM.

Imagery-Member

Thank you for your continued assistance.

Support from the Server company states the following.

"Why doesn't the mail server let me send messages from a script?

As an anti-SPAM measure, mail servers you use to send mail from your mail clients (like Outlook Express) are no longer set up to accept mail from your scripts and applications (like FrontPage, SharePoint and Miva).

To be able to send mail from scripts and applications you must change the mail server from "mail.your_domain.name" to "scriptmail.intermedia.net".

There are three main conditions to use scriptmail.intermedia.net:

1. Mail should be send from scripts located on Intermedia Web servers or from FrontPage, SharePoint and Miva applications hosted by Intermedia.
2. The domain name in either FROM address *or* all recipient addresses (TO, CC and BCC) must be registered on your account with Intermedia.
3. Domain in your FROM and all recipient addresses should be globally registered in DNS (we check for A or MX records)."

(END QUOTE)

I apologize if I am beating a "dead horse," here. But, is "mail.your_domain.name" somehow referenced or set within MLM files?

Fwiw, I have successfully installed and run MLM on a different server. But my client's server is apparently picky.

Thanks,
Tim

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry but if PHP 'mail' function can't be used then MLM will not work on that server. I recommend you to close your account and go anywhere else. This server is taking measures against you because he thinks you are a potential spammer :shock:

photo_ells

Hi I too can't seem to get my server to send the emails.

The emails aren't appearing in my mailqueue folder as I think my server is sending them but they aren't getting through.

My provider has stated that due to them having spam protection they require that email scripts have a "sendmail_from" with an email at the domain or the script needs a -f 5th parameter again with a email address at the domain name. I use another php mail script already on this server for our contact forms with a -f and the emails get through fine.

Is there anyway I can add something or modify the script so that my server recognises that the emails are being sent from our domain and not spam?

Thanks

Elliott

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
You can add that parameter yourself. Open 'mlm_functions.php' and search for 'mail(' without quotes. You should get the following line:
Code:
$result = @mail($recipient, $subject, $message, $headers);
replace it with
Code:
$result = @mail($recipient, $subject, $message, $headers, "-f$admin_address");
Then on the same function, replace:
Code:
global $admin_err_addr, $script_name, $script_version;
with
Code:
global $admin_err_addr, $admin_address, $script_name, $script_version;
This is to make the $admin_address variable available to the function.

Please let me know if that works for you.

photo_ells

Thanks for your speedy reply, Stanbusk you are a star!

It has worked like a dream, all request and confirmation emails are now coming through.

Thanks again