Configure settings for imap.gmail.com port 993

KarelMG

I'm trying to filter e-mail bounces from an imap mailbox of a gmail account. I've added ":993" to the hostname, but the program stays continuously checking the host. No message of failure (no host or no account) was given.

Do you have any hints?

KarelMG

As my Thunderbird mailprogram is also configured with this port setting.

Do I need to use another port for imap?

KarelMG

Whatever I try with or without port settings (993 or 995) the program comes back with an error message: Address invalid.

I also tried different settings of the security: SSL v2, SSL v2/3, SSL v3 as my gmail has a SSL security without mentioning any version, so I don't which is the right one. What is the right version for gmail?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
For Gmail I use:

Host: pop.gmail.com
Type: IMAP
Security: TLS v1
Mailbox: Inbox

By the way what is your operating system?

KarelMG

I find it strange that you use as host: pop.gmail.com while it is an imap account. Also like I said before the gmail security is set at SSL.

These are my settings for gmail in Thunderbird, as directed by gmail (
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... opic=12920) incoming server: imap.gmail.com
port: 993
security: SSL

My operating system is Windows XP professional

KarelMG

I've tried your settings, but it didn't work.

Could it be that the eMail Bounce Handler is interfering with Thunderbird. As after the attempts with eMail Bounce Handler, my Thunderbird was not able to connect anymore to the gmail account and I to had reboot.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
If two applications connect to a POP account at the same time you can get authentication troubles. It is better to make sure only one application will connect to your POP account at the same time. I am not sure whether that applies to IMAP as well...