BH not counting multiple bounces anymore.

srelan

with either a recent upgrade (or my OS upgrade to snow leopard) I now don't get Bouncehandler to add to the count number for a bounce already in the list (like it's supposed to do). Some emails will count but 99% just get added to the list again. a sort on the email column confirms the many multiple emails.

How do I fix? anyway to recover/fix to get bouncecounts on the addresses already in my list? Maybe exporting and importing into new file? (to build a new index or something?)
I'm at a loss but this is a major issue.

srelan

just submitted trouble ticket before seeing your post...

I have numerous lists for different jobs, each having the same problem. One client bulk mail list of their paid customers is 25,000 and about half have bounced (which is normal due to age of emails, ISP blocking suspecting as spam, etc.etc). But since I've mailed to it multiple times already, the Bouncehandler list count total is around 35,000 entries. (when it should be showing 10-12K with multiple count next to each)

srelan

yep, POP. Although, because BH has been crashing (due to what seems like a memory leak) I sometimes have to download all bounces with Thunderbird, then copy the raw mailbox file to desktop, add a ".txt" to the end of it and then "Dredge from a text file" BH menu option. Although can't do too big a file that way either or it will crash, so I have to manually do bounces in chunks. Which is very time consuming.
Would love to just leave BH running for a few hours on my desktop after every bulk blast..

bmacisaac

BH not counting multiple bounces

I too have this problem - began with the last BH update.

Has anyone found a solution?

srelan

nope, still having problem

I have to site there for hours regularly clicking "save" when it dredges my bounces POP account (so I don't lose too many bounces) because it will always crash and quit at some point.

It still wont count multiples over various bulk blasts either. I am having to use Bounce Handler to extract the bounces. Then I export them all to a text file and run a terminal unix command I found via Googling. "uniq" to get a proper count of multiple bounces. Then I sort manually in BBEdit then grab the ones with 3+ bounces to remove from my lists.

This used to work so great in previous year with Bounce Handler. Now I have to do 3 out of 4 of the steps manually myself, whereas it used to just handle it all by itself; without crashing... (no offense to the Maxprog team, I know it must be hard keeping up with quirk introduced with OS updates, etc, just being honest about the product usage now)

bmacisaac

BH not counting multiple bounces

I should have pointed out in my earlier post that I haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard - just updated BH a couple of weeks ago.

I have a script on my server partially written to weed out bounces but BH was already doing a fairly good job so I didn't see the need to do all the scripting work. Maybe I'll have to get back to it....

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Try to re-download the software and reinstall it. A new version will be available soon by the way.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
This happens to less that 1% of eMail Bounce Handler users. I already inspected the code and found no errors. I have never been able to reproduce the issue here either. I am still investigating.

willymmm

Actually, we don't know how many people it's happening to, we just know how many are raising the issue here. I, for instance, have had this problem for the last six months, and am only now getting around to rainsing it with you.

What can I do to help you figure this out (and I understand that it may be difficult to accomplish).

Also, let me say like others that generally I love your programs, and continue to recommend them to clients and colleagues!

Thanks, Bill

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
What I need is to be able to reproduce the problem here, it is not an easy task due to the nature of the problem. I have fully rewrote the duplicate checker in 3.7.4, the code is 100% new but it still fail for you. This is simply unbelievable, it is 3 lines of code that work for everybody but 1% users. I am really puzzled. Believe me, if I knew where the problem comes from I would have fixed it long time ago.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend you to download Onyx. It is a tool that can help you fix problems on your system. Go to the 'Automation' panel, select all the options and click on the 'Execute' button. Then restart your computer and check if your problem has been fixed.

If your problem has not been fixed you will have to run the tasks manually. Note that you will be asked to reboot after each task. There is no need to do that, just reboot once you have run all the tasks.

Maintenance panel
- Run the permissions reparation from the first sub-panel by clicking on 'Execute'.
- Select the 'Daily', 'Weekly' and 'Monthly' scripts from the 'Scripts' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Select 'LaunchServices' and 'dyld's from the 'Rebuild' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button. (You can also select to rebuild the Spotlight Index).

Cleaning panel
- Check everything from the 'System' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check everything from the 'User' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check 'Browser Cache' and 'Download Cache' from the 'Internet' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check 'System and Users' from the 'Fonts' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check everything from the 'Logs' sub-panel *BUT* 'Conversations log of instant messaging' and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check 'Recent Items', 'Obsolete items' and 'Previous 'iTunes Libraries' from the 'Misc' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.