Archiving accounts data

WGB

Hi,

I'm wondering whether in a future version of icash it could be made possible to save an archive file of all accounts data. One should be able to set a date before which the archive would store all transactions and eliminate those from the present file yet keeping the balance in each account for further use. The archive should be simply a normal icash file to be opened when needed.

I am asking for this since my database has now reached a size of 4.1 MB which seems to make it appreciably slower to start compared to the beginning of my work with it 3 years ago.
(I'm using an iMAC G5 with 2 Ghz and 512MB RAM)

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I have a document here with 80,000 transactions and it is almost as fast as a document with 10 transactions. Actually iCash should be able to handle hundreds of thousands of transactions with no speed decrease.

About your question, you can already do that. You just need to create a document and on the first window ask iCash to copy the accounts from a previous document.

WGB

Thank you for the advice! I didn't know it is so easy to do what I meant.
On the other hand I do not understand my slow start-up of iCash. Are there any settings on an iMac that you could think of to improve that?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
To improve startup you have to deactivate auto-backups. 80% of the startup time is spent by the auto-backup system actually.

WGB

Again a quick and really useful answer!
Deactivating auto-backups really improved speed as you indicated.

Thank you again, this a really useful piece of software for me!