MLM installed but error:1044 access denied

gator

MLM installed successfully using script, and files show up ~/public_html/lm/ but I'm unable to view stats, track, or create/upload lists because: "1044: Access denied for user 'xxxxxxx'@'localhost' to database 'xxxxxx_MLM'.

I feel like this is a simple fix but haven't been able to id the setting needed to correct.

MLM install success 2019-08-16 at 6.09.38 PM copy.png

I can log in through the browser but can't perform any actions, i.e. create or upload lists.

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 2.49.05 PM.png

Diagnostics:

MLM 3.1.2 diagnose ran on 2019-08-17 at 11:18:04

request_uri =
path_to_script =
working_directory = /home/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/public_html/lm

mailqueue permissions = 0755
sqlqueue permissions = 0755
uploads permissions = 0777
imports permissions = 0755
templates permissions = 0755

#1 mysql_connect( localhost, xxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxx_MLM )
-> Connection OK!

#2 mysql_select_db( YPL_MLM )
-> Error selecting database (1044: Access denied for user 'xxxxxxx'@'localhost' to database 'xxxxxx')
-> Check the server database name in lm_settings.php

Finally, when I look for MySQL databases via cPanel xxx_MLM doesn't appear.

cPanel database 2019-08-17 at 1.20.01 PM copy.png

Last edited:

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Are you credentials for full access? Is the mySQL server running on the same machine as the web server?

--
youtube_social_icon_white_17x12.png
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel and watch our tutorials!
Follow maxprog.com on Facebook | Linkedin | Twitter | YouTube
and keep up-to-date with the latest Max Programming updates!

gator

Yes, and yes.

I can log in through the browser, select a list to upload, name it, but nothing happens.

If I try to create a new user signup, I get a 1044 access denied for user xxxxx@localhost.

"/lm/lm.php?cmd=admin&action=showlists" = -1

If this can't be figured out I wonder if installing a MySQL db directly from cPanel and then loaded MLM into that directory would work? (I did see on another thread that updating php.settings manually with the same information fixed that user's problem.)

gator

It appears only dbs installed via cPanel are recognized. Each has a unique directory, into which an existing db can be imported, which then must have a user record with authorization(s) created for access.

I can create both the directory and the user, but after that I'm at a loss. There also needs to be a table created along with the db that corresponds (first, last, email, etc) to the list(s) to be added, and as to which MLM files to add I don't have a clue. (There's also a file naming protocol that apparently has to be followed as well.)

One response I noted was that if there's a "create database" command in your script, it has to be commented out, leaving the rest of the page intact. It would also follow that the create user part of MLM installer would also fail.

I'm not a programmer; it looks like the various solutions offered all involve some knowledge of SQL scripting. I could really use the functionality of MLM for my clients, including the various HTML pages, double opt-in, etc., but the odds against seem daunting.

gator

For those of us with a hosting package that includes cPanel, the best solution would be if MLM could be installed using Softaculous, cPanel's install app.

I don't know if that's something the host initiates or that's handled by the developer.

Installing WordPress (blog) is fast and simple, and the admin record creation is automatic.

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 1.38.22 PM.jpg

gator

The very only thing MLM does is creating the tables. Are you able to at least run a SQL Query?

By the way, have you contacted your hosting service support? I have been selling MLM for a very long time and never heard of your problem.

--

I can't run a Query because cPanel>PHPMyAdmin doesn't recognize the lm directory, which I successfully installed to ~/public_html/lm/ and where I can view and access via FTP.

I can log on via browser with the admin localhost UN and PW used to install but can't perform any actions. I can view/modify the lm_settings.php file via FTP with the same localhost UN and PW used to install MLM. (I installed from v8.4.6; here's the lm.php script version, but that shouldn't matter:

$script_name = "Maxprog List Manager";
$script_version = "3.1.2";
$copyright = "Copyright (c) 2008 - 2013";
$languages = array( 'en', 'fr', 'de', 'es', 'it', 'nl', 'cz' );

Finally, the alert from inside MBM when tracking is activated and a local list is selected:

error 102 2019-09-07 at 5.53.48 PM.jpg

gator

Is it possible you have to install MLM in a specific folder? Have you asked your server support?

--
Yes. Naming is 8 letter admin name xxxxxxxx_suffix underscore name of database, i.e., wrdp1 (when installed via cPanel WordPress script). Otherwise, creating a database manually using cPanel the suffix is created by the user. I think this would translate into admin xxxxxxxx_MLM1 or similar.

I need to just try this, but I think because MLM script creates the folder <lm> during the install it might not be recognized. Also, UN and PW are set at the time of DB creation within cPanel.

I've checked with host admin. They don't understand the problem and thus no guidance.